Best rated markets
- Buxton Market, Derbyshire
- Canterbury Market, Kent
- Kelso Sunday Market, Scottish Borders
- Bathgate Market, West Lothian
- Dartford Market, Kent
- Henley-in-Arden Market, Warks
- Wimborne Minster Market, Dorset
- Cottingham Market, East Yorkshire
- Harpurhey Conran Street Market, Manchester
- Enniskillen Market, County Fermanagh
- Ayr Racecourse Market & Car Boot, South Ayrshire
- Llandudno Market, Conwy, North Wales
|Co-operative granted licence to run Sheerness market|
Most traditional market operators, whether they are local councils or private operators, are profit driven and this is reflected in increases to market rents each year.
Traders at Sheerness have come up with an alternative scheme by setting up a non-profit-making co-operative to run their market. The co-operative was originally set up last summer as a temporary measure when the previous operator pulled out, leaving traders high and dry.
Swale Council have now granted them a three year licence and to celebrate the co-operative donated £250 to charity. They intend to make a donation to a local charity each year. In addition every Saturday a pitch is given to a community group free of charge and on Tuesdays a charity stall runs the Hope Street Cafe stall.
The co-operative will provide more stability for stall-holders and rents will not automatically increase each year.
To find out more about the co-operative or run a stall, call Martin Lee on 07521 730812 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other markets co-operatives include Bridlington Traders Co-operative and Cottingham Market Traders Co-operative.
Who's OnlineWe have 34 guests online
Most visited markets
- Keswick Market, Cumbria
- Bovingdon Market, Hertfordshire
- Chichester Market, West Sussex
- St Philips' Market, Bristol
- Beeston Market, Cheshire
- Bilston Market, West Midlands
- North Weald Market, Essex
- Chelford Market, Cheshire
- Chester-le-Street Market, Durham
- Frodsham Market, Cheshire
- Staines Market, Surrey
- Chepstow Racecourse Market, Monmouthshire, South Wales